Almond Ginger Root Salad
- 1 yellow grapefruit, peeled and sliced into rounds
- 1 pint strawberries, hulled and sliced
- 1/2 cup honey
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon grated fresh ginger root
- 1/4 cup slivered or sliced almonds, roasted
Divide grapefruit rounds onto 4 small plates, layering slices attractively. Top each stack with about 1/2 cup sliced strawberries. Combine honey, lemon juice and ginger in a small bowl, and drizzle over each salad. Sprinkle with almonds and serve.
Asian Beef Kebab
bamboo or metal skewers 1 pound tender beef, such as rib-eye or filet mignon, cut into thin 2-inch-long strips 1 tablespoon soy sauce 2 cloves garlic, minced 1 teaspoon Asian sesame oil 1 tablespoon sugar 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper 5 or 6 green onions, cut into 2-inch lengths 1 package rice cake sticks
- Soak the short (5- or 6-inch) bamboo skewers in cold water for at least 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile put the beef in a medium bowl, add the soy sauce, garlic, sesame oil, sugar, and black pepper, and toss to combine, making sure all the beef is coated with the marinade. Let sit for at least 20 minutes.
- Using 2 parallel skewers, thread the beef, green onions, and rice cakes alternately on the sticks.
- Prepare a medium-hot coal fire or preheat a gas grill to medium. Grill the skewers until the meat is browned on both sides and cooked through, 3 to 4 minutes on each side.
Stuffed Grilled Mushrooms
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 10 minutes
- 4 large portobello mushrooms
- 10-12 ounces baby spinach, washed
- 1 cup tomatoes, chopped
- 1/2 cup onion, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup bread crumbs
- 1/4 cup sun dried tomatoes, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup black olives, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- black pepper
- olive oil
Preparation:Place spinach in a large saucepan and cook for 2 minutes until wilted. Make sure to stir constantly. Remove from heat and drain out excess liquid. Add olive oil and add onion and garlic to pan. Cook until tender. Add ripe and dried tomatoes, olives, salt, and pepper to mixture. Cook for 2-3 minutes.
Preheat grill. Remove mushroom stems and cut off black tips. Brush olive oil on mushroom caps. Season with additional salt and black pepper. Place on grill and cook over medium heat for 5-6 minutes. Remove from grill.Spoon spinach mixture into mushrooms. In small mixing bowl, combine bread crumbs with salt and pepper. Top spinach with bread crumb mixture. Place stuffed mushroom caps on grill for an additional 5-10 minutes. Remove from heat and serve.